Wednesday, July 1, 2015

Review: Scarlet by Marissa Meyer

Hello everybody!
You might not remember this, but I reviewed Cinder by Marissa Meyer a long time ago (holy cow... in March!). You can read it here x. I actually read the next two books right afterwards, but didn't want to fill my blog with reviews, so I sort of put off posting their reviews.... but here they are!

Scarlet is the second book in the series.


ISBN: 978-0-312-64296-9
Pages: 454
Goodreads: x
Amazon: x
Barnes and Noble: x

Summary:
Cinder, the cyborg mechanic, returns in the second thrilling installment of the bestselling Lunar Chronicles. She's trying to break out of prison--even though if she succeeds, she'll be the Commonwealth's most wanted fugitive. 

Halfway around the world, Scarlet Benoit's grandmother is missing. It turns out there are many things Scarlet doesn't know about her grandmother or the grave danger she has lived in her whole life. When Scarlet encounters Wolf, a street fighter who may have information as to her grandmother's whereabouts, she is loath to trust this stranger, but is inexplicably drawn to him, and he to her. As Scarlet and Wolf unravel one mystery, they encounter another when they meet Cinder. Now, all of them must stay one step ahead of the vicious Lunar Queen Levana, who will do anything for the handsome Prince Kai to become her husband, her king, her prisoner.

Review:
What I liked the most: The plot and back story
Scarlet is way more engaging and action packed than Cinder. Marissa Meyer does a nice job building suspense and putting in plot twists. For part of the book, I was dying because I needed to know why Scarlet's grandmother was taken. And then.... Wolf! I was like, OMG, NO! How could you? That little plot twist made me question everything that happened previously in the book. 
Also, I loved the way Cinder's and Scarlet's plot intertwined. Some parts of Cinder's past, which was a bit of a mystery in Cinder, are revealed in this book. 

What I liked the least: Kai and Scarlet/Wolf's relationship
You see more of Kai in this book and how he deals the Lunar problem. However, you don't get more of his personality. He struggles between what he wants and what's good for his country, like in Cinder. The way he handles the Lunar problem makes no sense. What he chooses to do (I'm not going to tell you) does not really help. It just delays the problem a bit. 
While I like Scarlet/Wolf better than Cinder/Kai, Scarlet/Wolf's relationship builds too quickly. Even though I think Scarlet/Wolf are so cute together, where did it come from? One day she thinks he took her grandmother and the next they're together? No, just no....

The characters:
I like Scarlet way more than I like Cinder. She's sassy and I can relate to her more. She's protective of her grandmother and is so determined to rescue her. The only that annoyed me about her was when she got mad at Cinder for not doing anything to stop Queen Levana. 
Wolf is an interesting character. He struggles between protecting Scarlet and his wolf instincts. Despite all the terrible things he's done, I think he's a good person and I'm glad Scarlet gave him a second chance. 
Captain Throne.... this guy..... I don't hate him.. but sometimes I'm just like, why???? He says some irrelevant things sometimes, but other than that, he's okay. Hopefully I'll like him better in the next book. 

Overall:
Scarlet is definitely better than Cinder. Cinder focuses more on introducing the world and Levana. This one is more fast paced and exciting. It also reveals more secrets and creates suspense for the next book. However, I felt like the ending was very abrupt. It wasn't a cliff hanger that made me feel like I had to read the next book immediately, but the suspense built previously will make me read the next book. 

Rating: 3.5 / 5
Get ready for another review from The Lunar Chronicles!

Recommend? Yes
The series just keeps getting better!

Also, I know I said I'd post pictures from Canada in Sunday's post, but I forgot it's July. So Sunday's post will be May/June favorites and the week after that will be Canada pictures.

Thanks so much for reading. I'll see you soon!
~Claudia

Twitter: x
Instagram: x

1 comment: