Saturday, March 28, 2015

Review: Falling Kingdoms by Morgan Rhodes

Hello everybody!
Sorry I didn't post last week, it was the last week of school before spring break and you know what that means: TESTS.
So here's a book I read a while ago and thought was okay. I recently picked up the second book and it's getting really good!
So here is a review on Falling Kingdoms by Morgan Rhodes:


ISBN: 978-1-59514-584-0
Pages: 412
Goodreads: x
Amazon: x
Barnes and Noble: x

Summary:
In the three kingdoms of Mytica, magic has long been forgotten. And while hard-won peace has reigned for centuries, a deadly unrest now simmers below the surface.

As the rulers of each kingdom grapple for power, the lives of their subjects are brutally transformed... and four key players, royals and rebels alike, find their fates forever intertwined. Cleo, Jonas, Lucia, and Magnus are caught in a dizzying world of treacherous betrayals, shocking murders, secret alliances, and even unforeseen love.

The only outcome that's certain is that kingdoms will fall. Who will emerge triumphant when all they know has collapsed?

It's the eve of war.... Choose your side.


Princess: Raised in pampered luxury, Cleo must now embark on a rough and treacherous journey into enemy territory in search of magic long thought extinct.

Rebel: Jonas, enraged at injustice, lashes out against the forces of oppression that have kept his country cruelly impoverished. To his shock, he finds himself the leader of a people's revolution centuries in the making.

Sorceress: Lucia, adopted at birth into the royal family, discovers the truth about her past—and the supernatural legacy she is destined to wield.

Heir: Bred for aggression and trained to conquer, firstborn son Magnus begins to realise that the heart can be more lethal than the sword....

Review:
What I liked the most: How the characters are seen by different characters
Okay, that sounds confusing, but let me explain. The story is told from three different perspectives: Cleo's, Jonas's, and Magnus's. From Jonas's perspective, Cleo is a cold-hearted, spoiled brat who, like all royals, does what she wants. He repeatedly describes the cold, unemotional expression on her face when Aron killed his brother. (That's no a spoiler, btw. It happens in, like, the first 50 pages.) However, from Cleo's POV, you find out how that death haunts her. She's not the heartless bitch Jonas sees her as, but a caring sister who will do anything to save her sister. When you first meet Magnus, he's just a boy trying to please his father and harbors a secret love for his sister. But from Cleo's perspective, he's a vicious monster. 
There are three kingdoms and they all view each other differently: Auranos, spoiled and greedy, keeping all its prosperity to itself; Paelsia, a kingdom full of savages and thieves; and Limeros, a frozen barren ruled by a tyrant. However, upon closer inspection, you see the motives of each kingdom. Paelsia is dying, the people are desperate: desperate times call for desperate measures. Of course, they're going to do all they can to survive. Can you blame them for poaching in order to put food on the table?  

What I liked the least: The characters
I didn't like and couldn't connect to any of the characters. They're not all Mary Sues, but there was no spark between us. 

The characters:
Cleo: she's just a spoiled princess who has lived a life full of privileges. The only redeeming quality I see in her is her willingness to do anything for her sister. She does develop as a character through out the story though. Also, I disliked her relationship with Theon. Honestly, their relationship developed way too fast and there is no substance to it. It's just, Theon guard the princess! and then I love you! I love you too! Ugh, *rolls eyes* Not to mention, Theon is an absolutely flat character, what is his personality? All you get from him is that he cares for Cleo... and then what?? Nothing!

Jonas: Out of all the characters, I probably like Jonas the best; he's the underdog among all these stupid royals. Although I don't like some of the things he does, I don't blame him. He just wants his people to live better and not have to starve. He does what his thinks is best for Paelsia.

Magnus: I hate Magnus, he's my least favorite character. Everything he does is so stupid. All he wants to do is prove himself to his father and I just.. ughhhh. It infuriates me so much. Honestly, shut up, no one cares that you're in love with your sister or that your daddy is disappointed in you. The things he does to make his father proud of him makes me so mad. Ugh, I need to stop before my blood pressure gets to high...

Lucia: aka Mary Sue. She's beautiful and caring and, oh what? a powerful sorceress? (that is not a spoiler, you can guess it from the moment you meet her). Does she have any flaws? This perfect little princess is the key to everything, hooray! *rolls eyes* I have no feelings towards her whatsoever. 

Overall:
Even though I dislike the characters, the story is engaging. It's similar to Game of Thrones in which kingdoms are battling for power and there's treachery everywhere. There are many surprises and the book ends in a sort of cliff hanger. I like the way each characters's fate intertwines and how they become dependent on each other, whether they like it or not. 

Rating: 3 / 5
I will be reading the next book because I want to know what Cleo is going to do. But I'm not gushing over it.

As I said earlier, I'm reading the second book right now and enjoying it very much. The characters are starting to grow on me, but more on that in another review.

Also, on a completely unrelated topic... ZAYN MALIK LEFT ONE DIRECTION!??? Are any of you as devastated as me? I cried for hours after I found out. Yes I'm happy he's taking care of himself and trying to find happiness. But at the same time... HOW COULD YOU???? HOW ARE THE BOYS SUPPOSED TO GET ON WITHOUT YOU???? The next album is not going to sound as good as the previous ones because Zayn complete them.... who else is going to deliver those amazing, angelic high notes????

Another thing, Riv (x) and I made a book podcast. So if you want to listen to it, you can do it here (x). Follow the blog while you're at it because we will (hopefully) be posting more. In this podcast we basically talk about the books we've read so far this year, our recommendations, and the Infernal Devices.

Thanks so much for reading. I'll see you soon!
~Claudia

Twitter: x
Instagram: x


2 comments: