Sunday, May 17, 2015

Review: A Work In Progress By Connor Franta

Hello everyone!
Sorry I didn't post last week, I had AP testing. Thank god that's over! Unfortunately, I still have tests and actual work in some of my classes :(
For my birthday, my sister got me Connor Franta's book. I was literally jumping up and down with joy when I got it. Naturally, I sat down and finished it within a few hours.

ISBN: 978-1-4767-9161-6
Goodreads: x
Amazon: x
Barnes and Noble: x

Summary:
In this intimate memoir of life beyond the camera, Connor Franta shares the lessons he has learned on his journey from small-town boy to Internet sensation so far. Here, Connor offers a look at his Midwestern upbringing as one of four children in the home and one of five in the classroom; his struggles with identity, body image, and sexuality in his teen years; and his decision to finally pursue his creative and artistic passions in his early twenties, setting up his thrilling career as a YouTube personality, philanthropist, entrepreneur, and tastemaker.
Exploring his past with insight and humor, his present with humility, and his future with hope, Connor reveals his private struggles while providing heartfelt words of wisdom for young adults. His words will resonate with anyone coming of age in the digital era, but at the core is a timeless message for people of all ages: don't be afraid to be yourself and to go after what you truly want.
Beautifully designed and including photography and childhood clippings provided by Connor, this is a must-have for those seeking inspiration on their own journeys.


What I liked the most: Everything?
The book was amazing from the front cover to the back cover. First of all, how cool is the cover? Every time I see it I get a mini-heart attack because I think the book is dusty or something. I love the picture behind the cut out triangle, it's so pretty!
Can we talk about the pictures in his book? They're so freaking beautiful and artsy. His instagram game is so on point it hurts. I could go on and on about how much I love his photos, but I'll stop right here.
I love the format of the book. It's not just chapter after chapter. There's one part where his parents each wrote him a letter, which was pretty cool. He also has pages in between about random things, like coffee, saying no, and his arm. Like I said, random, but awesome.
His narrative is so funny and so him, I can just imagine Connor reading it. In fact, he's voicing his audio book, so he will be reading it! Tell me I'm not the only one who read the entire book in his voice.... 
His book isn't just "here's what happened when I was 3... when I was 15..." Some parts are like that, but a lot of parts are so inspirational and motivational. He tells you to embrace your creativity, your uniqueness, and your flaws. He says "Don't underestimate the power of self-belief. Don't be limited by the expectations of others. Don't care what anybody else thinks." (I'm not going to cite the page number or else I feel like I'm writing an english essay... but page 96 if you really want to know). Love every single aspect about you because that's what makes you you! 
One of my favorite chapters in the book was "Numb to the Number." I really had to do some self-reflecting after reading this book because I'm guilty of constantly checking how many likes my instagram post got. If I feel like it isn't high enough, I'll bug my friends into liking my post. Why am I so obsessed with numbers?? I don't even like math!!! Is it the need to fit in... the desire to look popular, to look like I actually have friends?? Why do I care so much that my friends get way more likes on their pictures than I do? 
He mentioned two things that made me very happy. Number one is Troye. He quotes Troye in one of his pages and I was like OMG TRONNOR <3
The second thing he mentioned was my favorite video by him called "Life Doesn't Wait" x The main point of the video is that if you don't like what you are doing right now, stop. Pursue your dreams because life's too short to say "I'll do it tomorrow." 

What I liked the least: Nothing?

The Characters: Connor
Connor's my fav... my precious little baby...

Overall:
This book has made me look at my life from a different perspective. I try my best not to care what other people think as much. It's hard! Sometimes I go "oh f- this, I'm just going to do whatever I want." 

Rating: 5 / 5
A Work In Progress blew me away. I was totally tempted to give it more than a 5, but I had to stop myself.
The audio of this book will be available on audible this Tuesday, 5/19 x. Like I said before, it's read by Connor, so of course I'm getting it!

More exciting new, I'm going to Bookcon with Riv this year! I'm so excited!! Slightly worried my tickets haven't come yet.... but still really excited!! There may be a slight chance we're going to vlog and post in on our shared blog x. Be sure to check it out this week for a new podcast and June 6th for a potential vlog. (Not guaranteeing a vlog tho, let's see how we feel that day.)

Thanks so much for reading. I'll see you soon!
~Claudia


Twitter: x
Instagram: x

No comments:

Post a Comment